Thursday, October 6, 2011

I Want To Be Fabulous

I love checking out fashion diaries on instagram. However, I am not very fashionable. Like, at all. I wear scrubs to work everyday and sometimes come straight home and change into soffe shorts and a t-shirt. Part of it is because I still need to lose weight. I have 4 boxes of clothes that no longer fit me in my garage. Part of it is because I don't want to spend money. However, I want to be fabulous on my way to being fabolous. Because:


I've seen girls of all different shapes and sizes looking amazing on fashion diaries. It's truly inspiring. Last night B and I got slightly more dressed up than usual and went to a bar. We also did our first fashion diaries pictures:


We have real clothes on! Btw, B seems to think he is quite fashionable. I'm the only one that goes straight to my sister when I need to pick an outfit for an event. She got all the fashion genes. Maybe...


And we were like totally vogue with our "blue steel" faces and funky angled shot. High fashion, people. We don't have iPhones yet so we have to take a picture with our camera and then upload to our iPad. The camera on our iPad sucks. But eventually we will have the iPhone 4S and I can show off these finds that I scored from the Good will. I love thrift shopping!:

$61.22 for:

-8 blouses/sweaters (that's what they called them on the receipt it just means a nice shirt)
-1 purse
-1 tank top
-1 blazer
-2 skirts
-1 pair of jeans
-1 pair of shorts

Then I went to Bealls and got 3 necklaces for $6.95.

I'm new to thrift store shopping but I do have a few tips (some are shopping tips in general):

1. Find a good blazer with a good cut  (no bulky shoulder pads) or a trench coat.  You will be amazed at what you can find at a thrift store.

2. Do not give up! Be extremely patient. The racks are so full that it makes it hard to even flip through them. Take your time. Don't get down on yourself if things don't fit or you can't find anything at first. I keep telling myself this. Give yourself 4-6 hours if you really want to score a lot of outfits.

3. Find out if they have a special promotion. Today was "blue" day at the thrift store. Everything blue was half off.

4. There will be multiple crying babies at the thrift store. Bring earplugs.

5. Don't get stuck on the brown note. This note is more for me. I don't know if it was because I was looking for fall clothes or what but I had to remind myself that there are other colors in the rainbow than just brown.

6. Try something new. Why not? A shirt is only 2-3 bucks and a purse is 4 bucks. You might as well try something out of your element.

7. Some things that look good on the rack will not look good on you and some things will look great on you that look bad on the rack.

8. Make sure nothing is torn or stain. You can always sew on new buttons though.

9. When you get home put everything in the washer. The clothes I got today were dusty.

10. Thrift store shopping is hard work but also fun.

Funky thrift store outfits coming to an instagram application (and this blog) in the near future!



No comments: