Monday, October 18, 2010

Deviled Eggs like My Mama Taught Me

If you are reading this at 8am on Monday morning, I am taking the GRE at this moment. Please pray for me, sing for me, dance for me, sacrifice small animals...whatever it is that you do that you feel might help me achieve an impressive score and get into Physician Assistant school. My friend Allyson told me that she would do all four. Now that's love.

For my tailgating/potluck shindig I also made  this very simple deviled eggs recipe. I made them the way that my mama taught me, so I credit my mama for this recipe. Thanks, mom!

I feel like a Southerner when I make deviled eggs. I recently read this book Suck Your Stomach In and Put Some Color On. I feel like I have many characteristics of a Southerner. I am stubborn, a hard-worker, and I like to say "y'all". My family is from Ohio but I was born and raised in Florida. Technically, I think geographically, I live a little too far south to be considered a southerner. Ain't that a little backwards? Any who, I don't know if this is a southern or northern version of deviled eggs but I got it from my mama.

Deviled Eggs


Put water in a pot and then put the eggs in. Make sure the eggs are submerged in water completely.


Boil eggs for 12 minutes.


Once boiled, with an oven-mitt, carefully take pot into sink and replace hot water with tap water and some ice cubes.


Did you catch that? Just making sure you were paying attention.  I just used the same picture for this step as I did for the first step. I was actually replacing the hot water with cold water in this picture...but we can pretend I was making sure the eggs were completely submerged before boiling too...(I didn't take a picture for that step).  P.S. Don't fill it completely up to the top when you are boiling, just enough to submerge the eggs...otherwise it will take forever. Add salt to speed it up if you already did it.

Wasn't this supposed to be simplistic? Move over, Martha.

Once eggs are cold, you can peel them. If they aren't cold enough the shell will stick to the egg and the eggs won't be pretty. Do a test one and if it doesn't work out, just eat it.



Usually I just stand over the trash and peel them with my hands like a redneck but for you I got out a separate bowl for the eggshells. I hear some people use the curved edge of a spoon to remove the eggshell.


Slice the egg vertically and empty the hardened yoke into a small bowl.


These are the three very complex ingredients you add to the yokes (sarcasm). I always add a large portion of mayo and then add smaller portions of mustard and vinegar until it tastes right. I like my yoke mix to taste tart and make me slightly pucker (but not too much).  In that book I mentioned (Suck Your Stomach In and Put Some Color On) the author talks about how people are at war over Mayo versus Miracle Whip. I didn't realize there was a war or an argument as such. I personally can't stand the sweetness of Miracle Whip. I forget if that means I'm a southerner or a northerner...


Mix with a fork. Manual labor is only fun when cooking is involved. Place filling back in eggs with a spoon.


Here is the part that I feel makes my mom's recipe for deviled eggs, my mom's recipe, and not just some generic recipe. Instead of adding paprika for color or something similar, my mom loved to sprinkle Season All on the  Deviled Eggs. My family members all have a penchant for salt. I'm still in love with it to this day. Bad, I know. Shush.




Yum In my Tum.


So what do you think: Southerner or Northerner???






No comments: