Monday, April 25, 2011

Stuck on repeat

B didn't kill me for murdering his laptop! Luckily, we have a warranty and have finally sent in the laptop for a replacement. I agreed to purchase our next warrenty since I kill all machines ever. It took a couple weeks for us to send it in because B has been working a ton of hours lately due to some changes at his work. I would have done it myself except I'm intimidated by exterior harddrives and afraid I would forget to take off something important. So, it looks like it will be at least another week before I have a better blogging machine.

I'm currently blogging from an IPad and I hate it! First off, B won't let me use a blogging app because all his information is programmed into all the applications. Although with our twitter app they allow you to have two separate accouts on one application. Not the case with blogging apps. Secondly, I don't have access to any of my pictures on here. Typing on the IPad is actually fun and doesn't take too long to get used to, but moving the cursor sucks...unless I'm doing it wrong and fat fingering it.

Aside from technology, a lot has been going on. We've been househunting with our realtor for the past few weeks. We were getting closer and closer to finding our perfect, raise our children, and live in for 20 or 30 years house. We had finally narrowed down what area to live in and the exact features we want for our house. We even went to a broker and got prequalified for a home loan. This weekend though everything changed. B found out that the wedding gift that we were expecting to receive is not going to be as large as we initially thought. Also, we found out that our realtor (my future mother in law's best friend), my future MIL, and our financial advisor expect us to have three months of reserved money for living expenses in our account after we move. Bleeeeeh!

OK, I understand why this is a good idea. Most people in financial crises moved to a new house with a pricey mortgage and then all of the sudden got laid off. It's just that the idea of having a down payment for a house and that much money saved up just seems impossible to me right now. I really enjoy the job I have now but it doesn't pay a lot and I'm not willing to get a new job until I can actually have a role I would like in the medical field. B is working his butt off but the more money he makes, the more money gets taken out of his paycheck for taxes, Etc. We can save more money but it takes a long time.

So, the best options that we've thought of are talking to another broker and seeing if we qualify for first time homebuyers down payment assistance programs. The first broker we talked to didn't even bring these programs up so our realtor referred us to a new broker who will see if we qualify. The next thing we've thought of is moving to a better rental home while we continue to save money. We're meeting with the broker this Thursday and should find out more soon.

Honestly, all of this depresses me. We both work so hard and are more responsible with our money than most of our friends. I'm ready for a house and I'm ready to be done with school (that's a whole other story) because I'm ready to get married and have kids. I know we have to do certaint things to make sure we bring our children (God-willing) into a stable, happy, secure environment, but I'm just so stinking sick of living for tomorrow. I work, come home, do chores, look at houses etc. and read blogs about families and their adorable children ...then have massive baby fever. My girlfriend says it's just hormones but I think it's definitely more than that. I'm in a place in my life where I'm ready to live for someone other than just myself. Also, B and I have been together for eight years now and have so much love to give. I think B will make an excellent father and spoil our kids like mad.

This was never meant to be a baby post but at the core of all this money jibber jabber is what we think should happen before we have kids...getting married and buying a house, but really there is so much more to it than that. I want to be able to afford the basic necessities and fulfill the first levels of Maslow's hierarchy of needs for my kids, but my heart is ready to love a child right now.

I guess we have to be patient and maturely weigh our options.

Or.....we could be flippant hippies...thats more our style anyway. Except, this is too important to me. Wah.

No comments: